The Newport Water Works began in 1894 when iron pipe was laid from Gilman Pond in Unity (5.5 miles away) to the Center of Newport. In 1895, the water system supplied approximately 169 families, two hotels, a railroad depot, two printing offices and 20 stores. Other than expanding the number of services, very few changes to the water system were made for the next fifty years.
After a severe drought in 1963, the town constructed a gravel packed well in Pollards Mills area in 1966. In 1967, the town constructed a two and one-half million gallon water tank at the end of Summer Street Extension. The Water Filtration Plant was built in 1992. In 2000, a new 1.5 million gallon water tank was built at the end of Summer Street, replacing a steel tank built in 1967.
Today, the Newport Water Department has over fifty miles of water mains. We serve more than five thousand people and commercial and industrial consumers.
Pictured L-R: John Shull, Bob Naylor, Kurt Laurie, Ben Clarke, Joe Branch
Pictured Bottom: Todd Cartier, Superintendent