There is a barking dog in my neighborhood, what can be done?

Newport's Town Ordinance as well as State Statutes governs barking dogs and noise issues. If there is a dog that has barked for an extended period of time or consistently barks, please call the Newport Communications center at 863-3232 to lodge a complaint. A police officer will address the situation with the dog's owner. A Town Ordinance Summons may be issued, however the complainant will be required to write a statement and may be required to appear in court, should the owner contest the summons. If you wish to speak to the officer about what action is to be taken, please advise the communications specialist at the time of the call.